Oxford Parl
No
Display career categories
Off
Volume type
MP

Tregony

In 1715 Tregony was a venal open borough. Its principal customers were the Treasury, who usually bought one seat, and wealthy London merchants, who competed for the other. The chief local interests were in Hugh Boscawen, created Lord Falmouth 1720, lord of the manor and chief government election manager in Cornwall; and John Trevanion of Carhayes, three miles away, also a government supporter. Another electoral factor was the Rev.

Saltash

The chief interests at Saltash in 1715 were those of two neighbouring landowners, Tories, John Francis Buller and Sir William Carew, who owned the majority of the burgages in the borough, which their families had represented since the early seventeenth century. It was in dispute whether the franchise was only in the corporation of 27 members or also in the 30 odd burgage-holders.

St Mawes

The patronage of St. Mawes was shared between John Knight, who became lord of the manor by purchasing the Tredenham estates c.1710,W. P. Courtney, Parl. Rep. Cornw. 92. and Hugh Boscawen, later Lord Falmouth, governor of its castle and the Government’s electoral manager in Cornwall, who had much property in the vicinity.

St Germans

St. Germans was the pocket borough of the Eliots of Port Eliot, who as lords of the manor appointed the returning officer, placing the seats not occupied by themselves first at the disposal of the Administration and from 1734 at that of the Prince of Wales. Thomas Pitt wrote in 1740: ‘the borough is at the disposal of Mr. Eliot, without opposition’,Chatham mss. and the 2nd Lord Egmont, c.1749-50: ‘in Mr. Eliot’.

Penryn

The chief interests at Penryn in 1715 were those of the Boscawen, Trefusis and Godolphin families. Till 1734 the borough was represented by members or nominees of these families without opposition.

Newport

The Morices of Werrington, as lords of the manor, appointed the two returning officers or vianders of Newport, which was represented exclusively by them and their relatives between 1715 and 1754. Their hold was unchallenged until just before 1748, when the Duke of Bedford purchased the Newport burgages of the Manatons of Kilworthy,HMC Fortescue, i. 132-3. who had a ‘considerable interest’ in the borough.Sir Nich. Morice to Humphry Morice, 22 Oct.

Mitchell

In 1715 the lord of the manor of Mitchell was Henry Arundell, 5th Baron Arundell of Wardour, a Roman Catholic and a Jacobite. The five deputy lords, from among whom the returning officer was chosen, were three Tories, Sir Richard Vyvyan, 3rd Bt., M.P., Sir William Carew and William Courtenay, M.P.

Lostwithiel

In 1715 Lostwithiel was under the control of a local family named Johns, who had acquired an hereditary hold on the office of mayor, carrying with it that of returning officer. They placed both seats at the disposal of the Administration,See Thos. Digges to Walpole, 21 Feb. 1724, Cholmondeley (Houghton) mss; HMC Townshend, 347. whose expenses there in 1727 were forecastJ. Wolrige to Walpole, 1 July 1727, Cholmondeley (Houghton) mss. at £460:

West Looe

The controlling interest at the Looes was that of Sir John Trelawny, 4th Bt., of Trelawne, who placed the seats not occupied by himself or his brother Edward at the disposal of the Administration, in return for an allowance of £500 p.a.